History of Lewis Electric Supply Co., Inc.

 

Wally Lewis served in the Royal Canadian Air Force during WWII and after his service Wally and five other RCAF friends purchased a couple of PBY-2 Stranvair flying boats and operated a air freight company out of Jamaica. Later, after shutting down the air freight business, he went to work with Moore-Handley Hardware in Birmingham in their electrical division as an inside salesman and then outside sales traveling North Alabama. In 1954 he went to work with SBS Electric Supply in Florence, Alabama.

 

   In 1960 Wally Lewis (1916-2002) started Lewis Electric Supply Company, Inc.. Greg Lewis (Wally’s son) was at that time a senior in high school and began working at the family business part time as the first warehouse man and truck driver. Gray Lovelace, formally of Davidson-Lovelace Electric, joined the company six months after opening and Wally’s brother, Lloyd, came in 1963. Another person who is a major part of the Lewis Electric success story is Harold Wesson who became VP in 1985 and now has over 45 years with the company.

 

   The original building was located in the old Gusmus Grocery building at 608 East 2nd Avenue just a few blocks from where we are located today.  In 1966 Wally built a 7,000 square foot building at 1306 Second Street in Muscle Shoals that was big enough, at that time, to house the offices and entire inventory. Today there are six buildings with over 40,000 square feet and a branch with a motor shop in Russellville, Alabama.

 

   In 1975 Greg Lewis became president and chairman and four years later in 1979 Wally retired to Pensacola, Florida where he helped host the Pensacola Open which was a PGA tour tournament and also helped with various other golf charities. Currently, Greg is still Chairman/CEO with major account responsibility running an alliance and his wife, Patty, is also still active in the business as the Human Resource Director. Their two sons who were raised in the business are now running the company’s day-to-day operations. Burton is president and Stephen is VP/sales manager. They represent the third generation of Lewis management.